Friday 15 March 2013

My beautiful, loving fur baby Smokey

So a few weeks back my old fur baby Smokey was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and was put on tablets to bring her levels down. She was perfectly healthy, albeit a skinny minny, and was a very happy baby before the tablets.

After taking the tablets for a few weeks she was given another blood test which showed her levels had gone up not down so the vet suggested we up the dose of her tablets. On the 10th March 2013 (before I picked up her new tablets) I was giving Smokey her tablet and giving her a cuddle and a fuss when she went all limp and her back end collapsed and she lost control of her bladder. I screamed up at Dave to come and help me as I was in a right state. We got her laid down on her pillow under the radiator where she loved to be, and left her in peace for a while. She seemed to come round a little bit later on and wobbled her way into the room. When we went to bed I took her in with me and laid her on her pillow at the side of me. She got up a few times during the night for a drink and to use her tray, so seemed a bit steadier on her feet. The day after I was so worried about her as she wasn't eating so I called in to see the vet to ask advice. The vet said to bring her in as she was worried with her not eating. So I went home and called my mum to come with me as Dave was at work and I was too upset to be on my own.
The vet gave Smokey a good going over but wasn't too sure what had happened to her, she said it could be a stroke but could be something else. She asked if I wanted to leave Smokey in the hospital to be treated or did I want to do it at home, well of course I didn't want my baby on her own and scared so I opted to take her home. The vet gave her a steroid injection and gave me some antibiotic tablets to  give her, and off home we went. Smokey picked up really well and came and laid in the lounge in front of the fire and her little mate Belle laid with her and gave her a wash and cuddled up with her.

Smokey got a little better as the day went on, and was eating and drinking, she was still very quiet compared to her usual self, but better than the previous 2 days.
The day after on the 12th March I took Smokey back to the vets and they seemed happy with her progress so didn't want to see her for another 2 days. That night I took her into the bedroom with me again to keep an eye on her. She did really well that night and managed to eat plenty of chicken and drank lots as well.

The day after (13th) she was doing great and even managed to jump up on the coffee table and beg for food, nearly back to her normal self! She then managed to jump up on the sofa and onto the window sill to sit in the sun.
She was still a bit wobbly but loads better than she had been. I left her to sleep in her usual place with her mate Belle that night.
On the 14th I took her back to the vet for another check up and again they were quite pleased with her, and said for her age she wasn't doing bad, and considering all her other problems and lumps and bumps. Though strangely enough her lumps and bumps were improving! So the vet said to start her on her higher dose of thyroid tablets and didn't want to see her for another 2 weeks or so. I can't tell you how pleased I was, I'd had a week of being in tears every time I looked at her little frail body. I know all my fur babies are spoiled rotten, but let me tell you that weekend Smokey was thoroughly spoiled! She was getting fed tuna and the best chicken, and loving every minute of it.
 
So on the 15th Smokey started taking her higher dose of Vidalta

No comments:

Post a Comment