Thursday 14 March 2013

Got to get this out of me!

Gosh I can't believe how long ago I wrote that last post, thankfully no-one reads this!

I thought after all the trauma of the past few years this one was going to be a good one, but this past week it doesn't seem so.

Over the last 12-18 months it has been bad news after bad news in my family. First my Aunt, who is more like my sister, was diagnosed with esophageal cancer, she had chemo and then a major operation to remove her oesophagus, they stretched her stomach up to  make her a new one. During the beginning of her chemo there was a lack of beds in the hospital, and during a conversation with the Surgeon and a nurse another nurse overheard and came in the room. She said "I'm sorry but I overheard this conversation and recognised a voice" Looking at our Sandra she said "and it's your voice I know Sandra" Our Sandra was gobsmacked as it was my best friend from school Liz. Liz had worked her way up the nursing profession and ended up a nurse on the cancer unit. Anyhoo she got our Sandra a bed sorted in another department for her chemo. Thankfully Sandra got over the op quite quick and did so well. She continues to do well 17 months later.

Then in February of last year my darling Grandad was admitted to hospital with a cut on his ear from a fall, he was ever so confused bless him with his Alzheimer's. While he was in hospital he developed some kind of infection, so he was totally helpless and as a family we were always there looking after him. Sadly on the 18th Feb 2012 he lost his battle and left us. It was of course devastating to all of us but in a way, a relief as Alzheimer's is horrendous.

During all of this we were having to look after my Great Uncle as well, who had been moved out of his house and into a flat. Well, to say he was a messy sod is an understatement, he was downright dirty and a hoarder. I went a few times a week when I could, illnesses allowing, but Dave was there loads and loads for him He took him out for lunch once a week and called in on him often. Then he's bring me his washing home! My niece Poppy also went a few times a week to clean for him, when he allowed her to.

Then in September of 2012 my best friend from school, Liz, was diagnosed with lung cancer. That hit me like a brick, even more so as she had done so much to help our Sandra. Liz was given 12-18 months with maybe an extra 6-12 months with chemo. Of course she started the chemo and I'm sure was given the best care anyone could get. Unfortunately during her chemo I couldn't go see her as I had a nasty chest infection. The chemo made her so ill but she continued with it because of her family. Then the cancer got real nasty and travelled into her spine. A piece of her spine was removed and a metal plate put in to stop the cancer going any further. While all this was going on my Great Uncle passed away in November.
Then the cancer in Liz went around her spine a different way and soon overtook her. Sadly 10 weeks after diagnosis on the 27th November, my beautiful Liz lost her battle with cancer.

I can't write anymore today, it's all a bit much.

No comments:

Post a Comment